Homemade Vegetarian Dog Biscuits
Making these super cute Vegetarian Dog Biscuits was the perfect rainy-day activity! This recipe uses mostly store cupboard essentials and can easily be tweaked to your own dog’s taste, or to use up left over fruit and vegetables! You basically can’t go wrong! 🐾
- This recipe does use half an egg, but we made two separate flavours at once so used a whole egg!
- I also cheated a little and used some premade organic baby food instead of pureeing my own fruit and veggies. We made strawberry and apple dog biscuits, as well as broccoli, pea and spinach dog biscuits. The fruit purees are waterier so you may need to add extra flour or oats to your dough.
- Regarding which type of flour to use, wholemeal, oat, spelt or coconut flour are a great choice as they are more nutritious and flavourful. However, white flour can be used to make these treats, as let’s face it – it’s probably what most people have at home!
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 cups of flour
- Pinch of baking powder
- ½ egg
- 1 cup of pureed fruit or vegetables
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Optional extras: add your dog’s favourite nut butter (make sure it is xylitol free), or a small amount of turmeric powder.
- Preheat your over to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside to cool slightly
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until you have a nice dough that isn’t too sticky. Depending on your puree your dough might be a little sticky or too dry. If your dough isn't coming together simply add a small amount of milk (I used oat milk) or water. If your dough is too wet, you may need to add a touch more of your flour or oats
- Dust the surface with flour and roll out your dough, I prefer chunkier biscuits, so I roll to between 0.5 and 1cm thickness.
- Use your favourite cookie cutter to make your biscuit shapes and place them on your lined backing tray
- Back for around 20 minutes until the dog biscuits take on a nice light golden colour.
- Place on a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container or enjoy your super cute Vegetarian Dog Biscuits straight away! If you ask nicely your pooch may share them with you!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.